Tabs open on your screen right now:
- Google calendar
- A short piece on the Four of Swords that Lily Hoang sent me the day of the election
- A scan of Deborah Poe’s WING book project, with which I’m collaborating
- Tanya Tagaq – I am listening to her a lot at the moment (and thinking of Anne Carson’s Cassandra: “I am just this sound. I will walk with my song torn open.”)
- Anne Waldman’s essay, “Looking into the Darkness of One’s Time”
If you had to brag about yourself:
I make an excellent Sacred Heart Lamb Hoodoo Resurrection cake.
Here is proof (featuring assistant, Mathias Svalina):
Your writer crush:
I’m crushed out on all the books and their writers! Lately, Annah Anti-Palindrome. I saw her perform at Casa Libre in Tucson, AZ a few months ago and was blown away by the alchemical zone she generated through her performance. I just finished her book, DNA Hymn, and it is so exceptional. I’m in awe of how she constellates her work.
“He screamed like a panther in the middle of the night”
From Willie Nelson’s In The Time of the Preacher (1975). Why? I can see my mother singing this with joy and abandon while driving our rusted-out Dodge Charger in the hell hot Mississippi summer on a Friday afternoon after a long work week in the mid 1980s.
Any place in the world:
Iceland’s thermal pools, Holt Cemetery in New Orleans, and the Roman Catacombs.
“Tiger Eggs” (made by Frankie Rollins) and mimosas (prepared by Kristen Nelson)
I am in the midst of transforming my entire loft into one giant interactive altar. It is very sweet because I am in love.
Your rituals (writing or not):
Holy Darkness & Underworld Wanderings
Least impressive thing about you:
Vanity and bouts of occasional desperation
Favorite space to write:
Guilty literary pleasure:
Ugh. Fuck guilt.
Best book nobody talks about:
I have been nourished by many conversations about these writers and their work. Still, I don’t feel these books are celebrated nearly enough for their genius. These are extraordinary books!
- Joan Fiset’s Now the Day is Over and Namesake
- All books by Rebecca Brown, including The Gifts of the Body and Excerpts from a Family Medical Dictionary
- The Sin Eater and Other Stories by Elizabeth Frankie Rollins
- The Mayflies by Sara Veglahn
- A Toast in the House of Friends by Akilah Oliver
Character (TV, book, movie) you most identify with:
- All characters and every episode of Six Feet Under
- Lilith in Midrash
- Carrie in Carrie
Last time you lied:
The week after the election, I had a doctor’s appointment and during the in-take a nurse asked how much booze I consumed over the previous week. I thought she was joking so I chuckled. She gave me a stern look to let me know she was not joking around. Three, I lied.
Question you secretly want to be asked:
I want to ask you: Do you think there is a ghost, at this very moment, watching you?